Donnerstag, 21. März 2013

Dresden Chains.


Yesterday I finished my Dresden Plate/ Irish Chain quilt top. I think it turned out quite amazing. I am loving all those white spaces and the pretty little Dresden Flowers. I don't know what took me so long in the end. The blocks have been sewn together for ages now, I just had to make a few more nine patches for the chain border around. I am not so fond of cutting, mainly because I still haven't bought new blades for my rotary cutter, boo me. Cutting is just not any fun when you have to use your whole bodyweight to get through the fabric. 



I initially thought about adding a final small white border all the way around, but then decided to leave it this way. I think it is big enough for now. I haven't measured yet. It is all pressed and folded up nicely, waiting to get quilted. I think I will try FMQ again on this one. I really want to. And I think a loose loopy or stipple design in the white spaces around the dresden flowers would look amazing and really make them pop. I just hope my sewing machine and thread and needle and foot and whatnot will play along and not mess everything up again as it did with my Swoon Quilt. 




I am still not sure what to use for the back though. I want something with a floral print, and it does not need to be out of any of the lines I used, which are Vintage Modern and Marmalade as well as Millie's Closet, since I will most probably need to buy and let them be shipped internationally, which really adds up for a few yards. Probably I will hit up the German version of etsy and look if I find something cute. 



I also have a lot of strips left over from the Millie's Closet Jelly Roll, which are perfect for a scrappy binding to round things of. But before I dream of binding I have to find a backing fabric I like and get over my fear of free-motion quilting.



 I am stuck with a bad cough right now. No sniffing, no headache, not a real cold. Just deep, heavy, aching cough. I sound like a dog, my voice is scratchy and I don't sleep that well at night because I am constantly coughing. I am drinking tea like crazy, but it didn't get any better so far. Oh well, nothing suits this never ending snow outside more than a really bad cough.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen