Sonntag, 17. Februar 2013

News, news, NEWS

Last Thursday was my Birthday. Yepp, I am the lucky one who would receive Birthday presents AND Valentines chocolate, if Valentine's Day would be much of a deal here in good ol' Germany. It becomes more and more popular, but Mr. A and I personally don't get why we should need a special day to show love.

So my Birthday. 21. I feel terribly old. I am still the youngest in every one of my university courses. But 21 doesn't sound cool. I get that being 21 is kind of fancy in America because of all the stuff that becomes legal. In Germany you are officially allowed to drink when you're 18, so being 21 is no big deal for me regarding alcohol or smoking or anything like that. 20, in my opinion, sounds pretty cool. I loved the 20th year of my life. I know 21 will probably be a good year as well (knocking on wood) but I miss being 20. 
I got some nice new "hey you are 21!"-hat though (well, actually five, thanks mom!).




I never had the the opportunity to make wishes for my Birthday presents. My mother was never a fan letting me chose. She gave me things she wanted to give to me. I always ended up with far too many socks. This year I just sent my Mom an E-Mail with three links and descriptions. The links led to a German Quilt-Shop. I kindly asked for one of the three Items, which were either one Salt Air Layer Cake by Moda, or The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt Book or the Dear Jane Book. The next day my Mom called telling me, that I would get all three Items from my Dad, my Grandma and her for my Birthday, Easter and Children's Day and every other Holiday were I would usually receive a gift until Christmas. FINE BY ME.

So those three things were sitting on one of my dining room chairs for nearly 3 weeks now and I didn't touch them, since it wasn't my birthday. God, that was hard. But I did order some fabrics so I could start immediately after my Birthday. 

I plan on making my Farmer's Wife Quilt completely in Red and White. I saw one lovely Quilt Top (well, actually it's just the assembly) on Flickr and fell in love. I had wanted to make it in Red and White but wasn't sure but it wasn't until I spotted this one that I was certain that I don't want my FW Quilt to be in other colors. I have bought 4 prints for now and I will buy some more as I complete the Blocks. So I will probably make my first 5 or 6 Blocks out of those 4 Prints and my white Background fabric and then I will order some other prints to mix it up. 




I want my Dear Jane Quilt to be Rainbow-Colored. I don't know why, I just love me some good colorful Block-Quilts. I have ordered one nice pink print so far. I probably just buy 2 to 3 prints per color, I don't want it to be too busy. I want the colors to speak, not the prints.




I made some big progress with my mother's quilt in Black and White. The top is finished, next up are borders. She wants three borders, black, the crown print, and black again. We'll see how that works out.

I started my Irish Chain Quilt last week. I posted at the end of my last Post a Photo showing the strips of one Millie's Closet Jelly Roll and some Dresden Plates I made out of two Charm packs ( Marmalade and Vintage Modern). I want to combine the Dresden Plates and the Irish Chain, but I am still not really sure how. I will figure it out once I have my nine patches for the chain done. For now I have a nice stack already finished, I still need to make around 12 or so.





And, the most exiting news: I finished my Swoon Quilt. WOHOO. It was like the best Birthday Present I could have made myself. I actually squared it up the minute the clock turned midnight and my hand still hurt from cutting when Mr. A made me open my first birthday presents ( I really need to invest in some new blades, otherwise I will probably lose some fingers soon). After that I attached the binding and today after Dinner I buried the last threads. It still needs to visit the washing machine though, but for now it keeps me wonderfully snuggled up and warm while I have my nose stuck into "The Fault In Our Stars" which was the actual present I made myself. Mr. A, who was more excited to have it finally finished than me, didn't have a chance so far to enjoy the giant cuddliness of the quilt since I am constantly bundled up in it. Little does he now that I already make plans in my head for making him a big Yoshi-Quilt for Christmas this year. Gotta feed my Gamer-Boy some nice Gamer-Quilt.




On Monday I will have finished my last exam for this semester, so this weekend there will be no sewing for me ( at least no quilty sewing. I will probably sew up some nice butterfly potholders for a friend whose Birthday is on Sunday). After that I will finally add the borders to my mothers quilt, finish up all those nine patches for the Irish Chain and maybe - MAYBE - cut into the Salt Air Layer Cake to start the Chevron Quilt I plan to make out of it. And of course, I want to start the first blocks both for the Farmer's Wife and the Dearest Jane. So much to sew, sew little time! But till then, I will spent my time learning Japanese Characters in a way it looks like Dexter paid me a visit:





Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen